Home | About Eric | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I hope this email finds you well! On Monday, Jan. 9, lawmakers returned to Olympia to officially begin the 2023 legislative session. It is nice to have most of the impacts of the pandemic behind us, allowing for the first in-person session in over two years.
In odd-numbered years, we have 105 consecutive days to complete the people's work, including writing, debating, and approving the state's biennial operating, transportation, and capital budgets.
As an assistant ranking member on the House Transportation Committee, I will work alongside our transportation budget writers as we discuss the fiscal policies that ultimately help shape this budget.
In these early weeks of session, our focus will be on moving priority policy bills through the committee process.
New leadership roles and committee assignments
Before the start of the 2023 legislative session, I was appointed as vice-chairman of the House Republican Caucus, serving as part of our leadership team.
Also, House Republican leadership put their faith in me to lead the House Labor and Workplace Standards Committee as the ranking Republican. This new leadership role puts me on the front lines as we work to find real solutions to the many workforce issues affecting our state.
I am also an assistant ranking member on the House Transportation Committee and the House Regulated Substances and Gaming Committee.
Please watch my recent video update for more information on my committee assignments. You can do so by clicking here or on the photo below.
My priorities and bills of importance
Public safety. Since the 2022 session, I have been working on policy to correct one of the misguided flaws in the police reform legislation passed in 2021 surrounding law enforcement's ability to initiate vehicular pursuits.
I have cosponsored House Bill 1363 with Rep. Alicia Rule, D-Blaine, to bring back the reasonable suspicion standard. Our bill will receive a public hearing in the House Community Safety, Justice, and Reentry Committee on Tuesday, Jan. 31, at 4:00 p.m.
Here are a few links with more information on this bill:
- Joint press release with Rep. Alicia Rule
- Interview with Brandi Kruse on KIRO Radio
- Radio report from Olympia
- Interview with Todd Ortloff on KONP Radio
I have also cosponsored a bill with my seatmate, Rep. Drew Stokesbary, to help fund law enforcement officers' recruitment, retention, and support. House Bill 1380 will receive a public hearing in the House Community Safety, Justice, and Reentry Committee on Monday, Jan. 30, at 1:30 p.m.
I have sponsored the following bills:
- House Bill 1083 – Concerning terms of payment for cannabis retailers
- House Bill 1237 – Redistributing the vehicle identification number inspection fee
- House Bill 1457 – Concerning a motor carrier's ability to access restroom facilities required by rules authorized under chapter 49.17 RCW
- House Bill 1514 – Addressing the purchase and distribution of insignia to manufacturers of recreational vehicles and/or park trailers
For more information and to follow along with the progress of my bills, please visit my website RepresenatativeEricRobertson.com and click on the Sponsored Bills tab at the top of my homepage.
House Republican Caucus 2023 priorities
House Republicans have promised to bring real solutions to the people of Washington state. We are keeping that promise. Our priorities for the 2023 session include: reducing your cost of living; making communities safer; fixing our housing crisis; and empowering all families.
There is a new face and voice in my legislative office. Please join me in welcoming our new legislative assistant, Joy Churchill. She is ready to help you set up a meeting and answer any questions about the issues that matter most to you.
I also want to take this opportunity to share information and a list of resources with you. These will provide a detailed look at the work happening behind the scenes on your behalf and everyone in Washington state. I encourage you to bookmark the links below and share them with your friends and family.
- Visit my website | RepresentativeEricRobertson.com
- Visit the Washington State House Republicans website
- Follow Washington State House Republicans on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Sign-up for The Current | The Washington State House Republican Caucus newsletter
- Sign-up for The Capitol Buzz | A daily summary of online news from across the state, highlighting policies, politics, and other issues that affect Washingtonians
- Bookmark The Ledger | Washington State House Republicans news aggregator
- Visit the Washington State Legislature website
- Bookmark House Committees | How to sign-up to testify
It's an honor to serve you.
In your service,
465 John L. O’Brien Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7866 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000